Sunday, June 9, 2019

Rant About My House's Bad Accessibility


A very rough recreation of my house's corridor.
Screenshot from Minecraft 1.13.2
I am not allowed by my parents to show any real photos of my house, which is why I recreated it in Minecraft.

Note that I refer to my paternal grandma as "it" because my family and I hate its narcissism, lack of tolerance, and bad anger issues. As MandJTV said, "If that offends you, suck it up."

A shelter, being one of the basic needs of man (in real life, Minecraft, and Hytale), is important for the storage of personal belongings and relaxation, especially after a tiring day of work.

My house, in particular, is actually my paternal grandma's house, which used to have a backyard until it was expanded to include additional rooms since my grandma invited us to live here. (Our old house was very far from important locations in Metro Manila.)
There was little room for expansion, however, since the lot is fairly small and "attached" to three adjacent lots.

Plus, after a fight I had with my brother, my grandma got so annoyed that it put a boundary between its original house and our expansion. The living room, the most spacious place in the house besides our roof deck, belonged to it, so we lost a place where we can move freely while staying cool during a hot day.

Additionally, we have an outdoor parking space which turns into narrow paths when we park our car. For anyone to get in or out of the house, one would need to pass by those narrow paths, which is extra risky at night or during rain since one could accidentally bump into someone else or slip on a puddle. I once impaled my foot after accidentally stepping on an earring while walking across that parking space at night; my flip-flops became thin after constantly moving fast. Firetruck littering--I have seen some weird litter around these paths, including a cigarette butt and a foam dart.
One of those narrow paths is pretty much blocked all the time because that's our family dog's usual pooping area. I never pass through it even in the daytime because I wanted to train my brain to avoid it--if I didn't, I would accidentally step on poop at night while carrying heavy loads with minimal light.

As for our store, it used to be more spacious until the road was renovated to include sidewalks. We had to narrow down our store, which makes it extra annoying when people pass by my chair while I'm gaming because I have to move my chair and it feels uncomfortable for my legs. It's even worse if the person passing is angry or in a hurry.
Our Wi-Fi router is also in our store and has a very weak signal strength in our bedrooms, so one would have to at least be in the corridors to use the Internet. Some of those corridors are swarmed with mosquitoes, but we can't spray insecticide on them because there's food nearby. Therefore, the options are: 1) Risk getting bitten by mosquitoes; 2) Get in someone's way, either in the corridors or in the store; 3) Face the sun's heat in the roof deck; 4) Do not use the Internet.
Also, our paternal grandma got a new Wi-Fi router in its bedroom and hasn't given us the password. Even if we knew the password, however, it and its maid still randomly unplug it, especially when their elderly, unpredictable, and rapidly-filling bladders wake them up at night.
Edit, June 18, 2020: Mom got the password from my paternal grandma and its maid and used them to connect Dad's PC to their Wi-Fi network. While helping Dad with a technical problem, I took the opportunity to get the password, and now all our devices can connect to their Wi-Fi network. The problem is they consistently unplug it every night now.
Edit, October 2, 2021: Mom convinced my grandma not to unplug its Wi-Fi using technobabble. In other words, we have 24/7 Wi-Fi all over our house now.

Because of all these narrow path issues around our expansion, parking space, and store, and the fact that almost all of these paths are regularly shared by all family members, it's really difficult to move around, even if I'm agile. One person, regardless of size, would have to constantly make room for another person to pass. If someone is carrying heavy or fragile objects, they can't simply "squish" through other people.
Additionally, if our car is parked and one wants to go to the coffee table area from the store or entrance gate, one would have to make these turns at a minimum: Left, right, left, left, right (5 turns total). This total may not look like much, but when constantly taking round trips to perform important tasks, this is a big chore. In scientific terms, the distance is much longer than the displacement. (To understand displacement, imagine you're a floating ghost who can go through walls and move straight to any destination you like.)

So here are some workarounds for these narrow paths:

  • Prepare everything needed from one location to minimize having to go back to that location.
  • Regularly clean the house, especially the narrow paths, to minimize tripping.
  • Whenever possible, stay in a bedroom. There's a kids' room and a parents' room, and only two people each share those rooms without interfering with personal space.
  • Don't firetruck up our house jobs. Angry people have a tactical advantage since they're faster, can use the narrow paths to corner people they are angry at, and destroy things along the way.
  • Work out more to increase stamina and strength.
  • KILL MOSQUITOES, DANG IT!

And here are what I want in my future house to avoid my current house's problems:
  • Ensure that all passageways around the house can be comfortably crossed by at least two normal-weight adults simultaneously. (Fat people can have free Training From Hell from me.)
  • If a passageway is occupied, there should be an alternate route to a given destination.
  • Walls and furniture should be brightly colored and should contrast each other. For example, this text has high contrast with my green background. This allows people to easily distinguish between passable air and solid objects. Poor contrast like this can cause people to trip on camouflaged, seemingly invisible objects.
  • The main entrance to the house should be wide and easily passable to allow heavy objects to pass through.
  • Big windows should be placed around important areas in each room, ideally on eastern or western walls. A big wall blocking the yard can prevent passersby from peeking into the windows while still letting sunlight in.
  • Important outdoor areas should be well-lit at night to avoid tripping on litter because some knuckleheads like littering hazardous objects randomly. If my lot has extra space outside my wall, I'll put a dumpster near the sidewalk because I rarely see public trash cans near Metro Manila roads.
  • For Minecraft and Hytale bases, there should be multiple entry and exit points to escape hostile mob attacks or attack them from a different direction for a tactical advantage.
    Or better yet, I shouldn't let mobs get close to the house in the first place...especially if they're creepers or Void Eyes.
I also need a strong flashlight. My tablet doesn't have one, and my backup phone has a very weak flashlight.
I'd ask my rich paternal uncle for a new smartphone, but he's just as crazy as his mother and serves it loyally. He'd rather make my grandma's maid's daughter a spoiled brat and his standard for liking me is based mostly on how much I respect my grandma rather than morals or academic performance.

TL;DR summary: My house's narrow, winding paths make it hard for multiple people to move around, so we need to gather our things and clean the house without screwing up to avoid moving too much. My future house should be well-lit and wide enough to easily navigate both day and night.

No comments:

Post a Comment