Sunday, May 17, 2020

[OUTDATED] Thoughts on CanadianFlash’s Hytale Beta Speculation

IMPORTANT EDIT, January 10, 2021: This post is outdated. Hypixel Studios is still rolling out somewhat vague postcards every week. I doubt they'll post any beta-related news in March 2021.

DISCLAIMER: The content in this post is either based on pre-release information or how I imagine Hytale to work. It may not reflect the final game, so this post is just for fun.


Note that this speculation video was recorded on March 21, 2020.

5. No Beta

I think it’s a very bad idea for business since beta sign-ups were available almost as soon as the announcement trailer was posted back in December 2018. Ruining people’s long patience can cause a lot of outrage, perhaps much more than the two-month gap between “Rising expectations” (May 4, 2019) and the Outlander reveal (July 24, 2019). and the three-month gap between “Custom content in Hytale” (August 21, 2019) and the November 27, 2019 progress update.
Fortunately, I think “no beta” is as unlikely as CanadianFlash thought. Thanks to the acquisition of Hypixel Studios by League of Legends developer Riot Games, Noxy described that now that Riot Games has provided the resources, Hypixel Studios can shift all their focus towards developing Hytale (last year, I think they were super busy discussing stuff with Riot Games).


4. Beta During Qarentine [sic]

Yes, I’m spelling it exactly like that because I think it’s funny. Don’t judge me—jk you can (intentional bad grammar)

DISCLAIMER: I am not a medical professional. Heck, I think even medical professionals know next to nothing about the Wuhan coronavirus—Mark Manson’s April 25 Mindf*ck Monday (formerly Motherfuckin' Monday) newsletter claims that nobody knows what’s going on. I’m seeing reports of Sweden’s economy staying stable and infections being less than countries like the UK, yet the Philippines, which has locked down, has fewer infections. Yet, again, many other countries that have locked down like Italy have loads of cases. RIP brain. If this were a fantasy world, I would shrink down to microscopic size and skewer the coronavirus with my spear.

But back to Hytale before thoughts about the Wuhan coronavirus drive me Ax-Crazy.

I wrote this after the April 30, 2020 progress update which showed a low-tier Trork being killed by a player with an iron sword. Like mobs in other gameplay clips, the Trork immediately “popped” out of existence roughly one second after its death animation, which was pointed out in a Tweet by @DudDud18029318 saying it looks “weird”, to which Noxy replied, “we have a WIP death effect”. Side note: I kind of want corpses to stay around for longer until the player gets far away from them, akin to Minecraft hostile mob despawning. Personally, I want to hide bodies after stealth-killing. Some Ax-Crazy players may want to repeatedly smack the corpses because There Is No Kill Like Overkill. Some may want to take a weird selfie with the corpses.

(I was going to argue that the Trork does too much damage for its tier since I thought many early-game enemies like in Minecraft don’t deal much damage (2-5 damage in Minecraft out of 20 max HP), but red Bokoblins in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild do about the same damage (1 heart) to a Link with three hearts as the low-tier Trork (roughly 37% of max HP when not shielding).)

TheAtlanticCraft pointed out that the Trork “didn’t react” to getting hit and the block placement animation will “get annoying fast”.
Actually, the Trork did react, albeit for a few frames. It did its attack animation before its “staggered” animation ended, though, which I think is a game-breaking glitch—most video game enemies, as well as hack-and-slash and fighting game characters, cannot attack while they’re staggered.
I’m not sure what exactly made TheAtlanticCraft think the block placement animation will get annoying, but I’m guessing it has to do with the block being raised halfway through the animation, which can make certain blocks cover up a large part of the screen, as shown by this roof block covering about 1/3 of the screen:
If a speedy or ranged enemy attacks your right side at the last split-second, you’re dead.
TL;DR: There’s still a lot of work-in-progress stuff, and I think Hypixel Studios is aiming for the beta to look as close to perfect as possible, so I doubt the beta will be released during the quarantine, or at least between the present and the summer of 2020. Speaking of which…

3. Summer of 2020

Give me a while to talk again about the firetrucking Wuhan coronavirus. CanadianFlash stated that he’s “not sure” if we’ll still be in quarantine at this time—I think it’s because the world thought there was still a chance to contain this virus. On March 21, 2020, Singapore had 432 total cases, while South Korea drastically lowered its curve after the spike of 851 cases on March 3. But then again, Singapore got a resurgence of the coronavirus on April 9, 2020 at 287 new cases. On April 20, 2020, Singapore was hit with its current highest number of cases in a day: 1.4k. Again, according to Mark Manson, we don’t know what’s going on. This coronavirus is a chaotic evil piece of bat garbage. Urrrggghhh!!!

Now, what does that rant have to do with Hytale or CanadianFlash? Well, assuming CanadianFlash didn’t specifically refer to the period between March 2020 and summer 2020, “Beta During Quarantine” may overlap with any of CanadianFlash’s other beta release date speculations. Mark Manson stated “the most optimistic guesses [for a vaccine or therapy to be created] are some time in 2021” and linked to an article by Bill Gates stating that “by the second half of 2021, facilities around the world will be manufacturing a vaccine.” Yes, I think the Wuhan coronavirus is ridiculously resilient and that…makes…me…ANGRY! *whacks punching bag with baseball bat*

Regardless, I give “summer of 2020”, or at least July 2020, a generous 10% chance. I think there will still be a lot of work-in-progress content by late May and I doubt the game will be polished enough by July, but there’s still a chance Hypixel Studios may get that unexpected burst of mental energy. I’ve been stuck in quarantine for 2 months and I’m now used to it—if Hypixel Studios is like me, they may grow accustomed to their partnership with Riot Games by June, making things way easier for them.

Coincidentally, July 10 is my birthday. If the Hytale beta opens on July, it would be the ultimate birthday gift.

CanadianFlash thinks another trailer might come out before the beta, which I think is a good decision. It’s been more than a year since the announcement trailer and I think thousands, if not millions, are super bored to the point they don’t regularly check the Hytale website or any of the staff’s Twitter profiles. When this trailer comes out, Hypixel Studios better go all-out with the advertising and make sure it goes as viral as possible, which will be extra challenging considering YouTube is extra paranoid of supposed “fake news” about the Wuhan coronavirus to the point that Pokétuber MandJTV described this as the “worst time for YouTube ad rates that [he] has ever seen”, The Game Theorists titled their video “Who Will Survive [CENSORED] Virus?” to avoid getting demonetized for saying “Voldemort”—I mean, anything to do with the coronavirus, and ThirtyVirus is getting way fewer stream viewers than usual.

2. October/December 2020

This is where I have a lot more certainty…though I can’t really explain why.
The 2021 release year is kinda vague, so, from my Crazy-Prepared cynical perspective, if Hypixel Studios delivers as promised, Hytale may be officially released on December 2021. If the beta goes live between October and December 2020, the full release will more or less be 1 year away, so, obviously, players will have more than a year to find all those freaking bugs and balance issues. Considering the speed Hypixel Studios is cranking out new content with every monthly progress update, I think a year is more than enough to address beta issues.
A beta on December 2020 would be a cathartic Christmas gift for those who are horribly bored by most of the world being on quarantine.

1. Early 2021

This has the highest probability, according to CanadianFlash.
Not much for me to say here, to be honest. I think it’s a similar case to the October/December 2020 prediction.

I think there’s a minor error: At 6:03, CanadianFlash said, “I presume the game will probably be released mid-2020.” I think he means 2021. CanadianFlash, kindly clarify. (And yes, I read the description and all the comments and replies, but no one pointed out that error.)

Speaking of mid-2021, if that is indeed the Hytale official release date, early 2021 has a very high chance—I’d say 85%—to have a beta release. In an old release date prediction video, ThirtyVirus collected data of gaps between the announcement trailers and official releases of games he likes and got 1 month minimum and 8 months maximum with an average of 4 months, so this seems like a reasonable gap for me to apply between the beta (instead of a trailer) and the official release.

LT Being Crazy-Prepared: November 2021

Because I think there should at the very least be a 1-month gap between beta and official release. At this point, I think the beta will reach a state of such near-perfection that even the harshest critics will have to exert some effort to nitpick the game with some credibility.

Behind-the-Scenes

I actually wrote a draft about this back in March 2020, but I still had firetrucking school work and I got stuck on getting ideas for “Beta During Quarantine”. I wrote this new draft on a different PC since my younger brother Ivann was busy on my usual PC, and boy am I glad I waited for the April progress update.

No comments:

Post a Comment