Sunday, April 7, 2019

(OUTDATED) Small Reaction to ThirtyVirus's Hytale Release Speculations


Yes, I know ThirtyVirus has a bit of hate from the Hytale community, but I don't care—I like his videos. I still take his speculations with a grain of salt, but I find his arguments to be well-constructed. Plus, Simon and Noxy follow ThirtyVirus on Twitter.

IMPORTANT EDIT: ThirtyVirus admitted that his May release speculation was wrong, and changed it to December 2019.
Side note: I like it when someone admits they're wrong and apologizes for it.

IMPORTANT EDIT: Hytale is aiming for a 2021 2023 release date.

(Epic fail: I accidentally wrote December 2018 instead of 2019. 2018 was when the Hytale trailer came out. I can't believe that little detail slipped my mind. I apologize.)

Summary of ThirtyVirus's Videos

Don't read these until you've watched ThirtyVirus's videos above. He needs the views. <3

  • ThirtyVirus thought Hytale will be fully released in May 2019.
  • Hypixel Studios stated in the December 13 FAQ that they will eventually let people reserve names before release, possibly hinting that well-known gaming personalities like YouTubers will get early testing of Hytale. (DanTDM was actually the first known non-Hypixel person to play Hytale.)
  • The developer tools are mostly done, so it's easier for Hypixel Studios to fill in the rest of the details. (Using these tools is much faster than manually coding everything from scratch.)
  • Giving early access to YouTubers can build hype around Hytale, while early access for modders lets them familiarize themselves with the developer tools and make their own servers playable on Hytale's launch.
  • The games ThirtyVirus analyzed, including Call of Duty Black Ops 4 and RAGE, had a time of 1 to 8 months between the announcement trailer and release, with the average being 4 months. By May, the Hytale announcement trailer will be 5 months old.
  • Hypixel Studios should release the game a few weeks or a month after the beta; otherwise, people would try to download the game and have it run offline.
  • Due to toxicity and pressure from the Hytale community, Hypixel Studios may release the game earlier to calm down the community. The least they can do is announce a release date.
  • May is close to summer vacation (in the United States, I think), and ThirtyVirus’s YouTube views are at their highest on summer vacation. Minecraft and the Hypixel server were made popular largely thanks to YouTube (ThirtyVirus was introduced to Hypixel by Technoblade. I watched a lot of DanTDM videos back in my first few years of playing Minecraft.), so Hytale could take advantage of the “peak YouTube season”.

My Thoughts

First of all, Hypixel Studios has continuously stated that Hytale will be released “when it’s ready”, and I’m sure ThirtyVirus knows that very well. (ThirtyVirus even Retweeted the Tweet I linked.)
If they want to keep the release date secret, I don’t think they’d make any statements about the release date. I can tell Hypixel Studios is being as honest as possible with their “when it’s ready” statement. If Hytale did have a confirmed release date, Hypixel Studios would most likely say so as soon as possible to ease people’s minds since they will know what to expect and they trust that Hypixel Studios will deliver what the community has been begging for.
Edit, May 4, 2019: Hypixel Studios stated: "When we are [ready to open the Hytale beta], you can be assured that we’ll let you know—we’ve got no interest in keeping it a secret!" Aw, you're so kind!

With all of that said, I’ll still take into consideration the possibility of a surprisingly early release. Who knows—maybe all the Hytale developers could go on a frenzy and fix hundreds of bugs in just 1 working day. (Ed Skudder, one of the creators of the web series Dick Figures, once worked on Dick Figures The Movie at 2 AM. I could spend an entire night programming, writing, or cycling—I pulled an all-nighter while writing my team for Pokémon: Let’s Go, Eevee!.) ThirtyVirus could be correct all along, and Hypixel Studios wouldn’t know in advance how fast they can actually be.

Okay, onto ThirtyVirus’s speculations: I agree that releasing Hytale on May 2019 is strategically viable because of the points he mentioned. Like I said in my Hytale play style post, Hytale is well-known by many big-shot Minecraft YouTubers like DanTDM and CaptainSparklez, and I’m confident that not only will these Minecraft YouTubers become Hytale YouTubers, but they can gather up the Minecraft fanbase they’ve built up over the years and entice them to Hytale.
And speaking of summer vacation, the Philippines has summer vacation from April to May. Out of 107 million people, 76 million are active social media users, according to Hootsuite and We Are Social. If Hytale can spread throughout the Filipino social media community before school starts, Hytale’s fanbase would bloat like crazy.
Long edit: I forgot who said it, but I think Codiak from The Game Gurus said in his first Hytale Roundtable video that Hytale brings together people from many different fandoms, like Codiak who is a World of Warcraft player, ThirtyVirus who is a Fallout New Vegas player, and a Terraria player (forgot who). In Codiak's interview with Noxy, Noxy stated that he has played The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, World of Warcraft, and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
I'm a long-time fan of RPGs and open world games, so Hytale is a huge deal for me. (I think my application of Fire Emblem concepts in my Hytale play style is peculiar.)
Imagine if even non-gamers were enticed to Hytale. As of May to August 2019, I'm studying political philosophy, and I realized that many of the concepts I learn there can translate to Hytale politics, whether they involve NPCs or real-life players. See my Hytale play style part 3 for some Niccolò Machiavelli quotes.
One of my multimedia professors does virtual photography in video games. Hytale allows the player to trigger manual character animations or change depth of field (or aperture), so he could do some crazy photos with the game.
We could have MASSIVE advertising of Hytale from all sorts of content creators.

But, sorry, ThirtyVirus, but I mostly disagree with the May release date, mainly because of my statements in my beta speculation post, including the Hytale blog posts’ focus on aesthetics like art, music, and character customization, the lack of detailed posts that are significant for hardcore gamers like combat and minigames, the fact that Hypixel Studios is taking suggestions from responses to The Game Gurus’s surveys, and the likelihood of Hytale being featured on E3 2019, which happens on June at Los Angeles. (Edit: Noxy stated that there are no plans for Hytale on E3 2019.) (Heck, I think the beta won’t come out this year since there’s still so much unfinished stuff like the UI.)

Plus, I drafted this on March 29, and if Hytale would really be released on May, Hypixel Studios would most likely say so. If I’m not mistaken—correct me if I’m wrong—the exact release date of Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon was announced on August 2017, while Pokémon Sun, Pokémon Moon, Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu!, and Pokémon: Let’s Go, Eevee! had their release dates announced on May of their respective years, and all of these Pokémon games were released on November of their respective years.
Avengers: Endgame’s trailer was published on YouTube on March 14, and it showed on theaters on April 26. I admit that it’s approximately a month as opposed to 2 months, but I think it’s close enough for the sake of this argument.

With that said, release dates can always be delayed (such as those of Grand Theft Auto V and some Blizzard Entertainment games). It’s annoying, but it’s an inevitable fact of life for some creative content. Even if Hytale gets an official beta/full release date, I’ll still brace myself for delays.
Just please no lawsuits against Hypixel Studios (but I think lawsuits are unlikely; Mojang, Microsoft, and Notch are supportive of Hytale).

I’ll add to what I stated about the Hytale beta coming out 10 years from now: I don’t even care if Hypixel Studios becomes completely silent for 10 years straight. As long as I know they’re still developing Hytale, I’ll remain psychologically stable and I’ll let them work at their own pace. Besides, I can just keep staring at the official blog posts and fan speculations when I’m not wasting my life doing pointless school work…
Just please don’t wait until old age drains my physical strength to release Hytale. Youthful energy will maximize my enjoyment of Hytale.

P.S. ThirtyVirus, if you're reading this, I'd be more than happy to privately discuss your speculations with you.
i hope this post doesn't look toxic <3 (intentional bad grammar)

P.P.S. Hypixel Studios pls accept ThirtyVirus's job application :p

No comments:

Post a Comment