Sunday, September 1, 2019

Moral Lessons Taught by My Hytale Hype

DISCLAIMER: Some content in this post is speculative and based on pre-release information and Minecraft. It's not to be taken seriously; it's just for fun.

Despite not even having an open beta yet, Hytale has not only become part of my main interests (which, I think, is rare for a person with Asperger's syndrome who already has some main interests to begin with), but it has changed my life for the better, even outside of gaming.

But since I suck at introductions, I'll skip to the first lesson then go in order of importance (with the last being the most important lesson):

Patience

The Hytale announcement trailer was released on December 13, 2018; as of this writing, it's more than 8 months old, and I'm personally impressed with how long I've waited for the beta without throwing a temper tantrum. (Just kidding; I'm not that hot-tempered.)

It has also taught me to lower my expectations on uncertain but potentially beneficial future events besides game releases/updates; these include vacation proposals, co-op game invitations, and opportunities to meet with someone I have a crush on.

Actually, I think I still have a long way to go in learning patience, particularly in the short term like waiting for someone to stop talking in a conversation, especially when the other person talks for several minutes straight as if ranting or giving orders.

Survivalist Attitude

While I sort of learned this after watching survival documentaries and footage of The Last of Us, I mainly give credit to my Hytale practice regimen--a Minecraft no damage playthrough--for solidifying this attitude in my brain.

To summarize my no damage playthrough: If I take any kind of damage (even poison) or if all of my Pokémon die, I have to delete my world immediately. It has a lot of restrictions to remove game mechanics that I think make the game too easy; these include eating rotten flesh or apples, using shields, looting generated structures, and most villager trades.

As a result, I prepare to the max whenever I do a no damage playthrough; I ensure that, on the first night, I have a farm, a shelter, some torches, and basic equipment.
When exploring at night or in caves, I often move extra carefully while constantly watching my back; mobs, especially skeletons, could pop out of nowhere. (Skeletons are normally easy to fight, but because of my custom rules, they're extremely dangerous.)

In real life, I regularly carry a sling bag to store my gadgets, mosquito repellent, bandages, money, and pen. These are things that I frequently would forget to bring otherwise, especially because I'm lazy to individually carry things with my bare hands.

I look around my environment constantly, especially when outdoors. I never know when a criminal or a BAD DRIVER might pop out of nowhere--I nearly got bumped by a bus while I was on a pedestrian lane, but I dodged just in time. I saw a taxi driver quickly switching lanes through a small gap without using their turn signal.

In my family store, I often check for fake money--yes, including small-value bills like ₱20s (~US$0.38) and ₱50s (~US$0.96). I do so using ultraviolet light, scratching, and sniffing. (Yes, sniffing. Money has a unique smell.)

Maybe I can take this a step further by ensuring that my family members always have easy access around our otherwise narrow house, perhaps by keeping all their unused possessions in their usual storage places, charging their phones, and even...removing pebbles around the places they walk.

Being a survivalist has also taught me perseverance.

Skepticism

This mainly stems from my survivalist attitude--I never know if something good will actually happen unless I have solid proof. Blind belief can cost me my life in-game. As Hypixel Studios has repeatedly stated, Hytale is still a work in progress--heck, even the developer tools might change over time! (Who knows how much of the groundwork is actually done...)

I think my skepticism comes from my failed conversation attempts and obsession with political discussion? I'm not sure. I just don't like being deceived because I've been deceived and robbed before.

Hytale reinforced my skepticism to sky-high levels because it's a potentially huge game release, which will surely drive a lot of hype, speculation, and even fake news.
That's why I kept my hopes down when Codiak from The Game Gurus stated in his Discord server that an insider told him a blog post was coming in a week or two (referring to "Custom Content in Hytale", which was actually released two weeks later). Keeping my mind out of the thought of a potential blog post allowed me to focus on other things I like...like Fire Emblem.

Skepticism is one reason why I restrict so many features in my Hytale practice regimen. While there is a ton we know about Hytale, there is a megaton we don't know.
My post about my regimen should explain everything, but some unknown information causing my restrictions include the rarity of generated structures and what kinds of food are easily obtainable.

In real life, I often question the things I read, hear, or watch, even if they come from sources I trust. For instance, I don't think PragerU's "Be A Man. Get Married." is applicable for me because I hate married life and I can learn responsibility and other values through hanging out with close friends...and maybe being hyped for Hytale. (With that said, it's up to you whether or not marriage will make your life better. I still like the video.)

I advise my readers to be skeptical of my posts as well, especially my Hytale-related posts. That's why I often put that crazy disclaimer at the top.
I also give mad respect to Mark Manson, the author of The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck; he tells readers that it's their choice whether or not to listen to him. (Don't tell him that I give a firetruck about way too many things, plz.)

Positivity and Gratitude

So far, Hytale has stayed true to discussing content of significant value to the players, modders, and content creators while avoiding major spoilers for almost 9 months straight. You guys are really good at marketing, I'll give you that. (If Hytale becomes so popular upon release, do you readers think spoilers will be a huge problem similar to Avengers: Endgame?)

I know not all blog posts are important to all players, some were supposedly "disappointing" like the first fan art showcase.
But, if you ask me, even the fan art showcases were useful. For example, in their critique of Cidercet's Gaia fan art, Hypixel Studios stated that Cidercet "captured the essence of the character beautifully" and "there's a real sense of innocence, mystery, and power", which may hint at Gaia's official lore or personality in-game. Plus, isn't it nice to see Hytale in a wide variety of art styles? The Hytale logo carving by DeoDravent from the second fan art showcase is my personal favorite.
Plus, the second fan art showcase was released alongside the Outlander reveal post, so there's still stuff directly linked to gameplay!

Remember my reaction to "Custom Content in Hytale"? The original post is, I think, primarily aimed towards modders. I'm not a modder, so I didn't pay much attention to the modding stuff, but I appreciated the post for different reasons, like an opportunity to make tactics and an opportunity to speculate what a Hytale Smash Bros. would be like. lololol

Anyway, the point is, I always try to find something good in every official Hytale blog post (even if I dislike some of them overall), and each time I do it, I get more and more impressed at the technical quality and overall gameplay potential.
Plus, the blog posts are amazing as bases for my own blog posts and school work. lololol

In real life, I still have a long way to go in terms of positive attitude because I'm...uh, too cautious. However, I'm often thankful to people who do even small things for me--it's the least I can do to reward them for their efforts.

Heck, positivity and gratitude are the main reasons why I wrote this post; I am thankful for the good things brought about by my Hytale hype.

Some Moral Lessons I Want to Learn in the Future (mostly when Hytale is released)

Not really a moral lesson, but I hope Hytale can improve my skill in programming. Hytale servers are written in Java, and I have written tiny bits of Java before.

I plan to mainly play Hytale Adventure Mode in co-op with BoltOLightnin and YoSquid, where I have been chosen to be the leader and tactician. From this, I hope to learn leadership and camaraderie. (I currently have a very weak authority.)


No comments:

Post a Comment