Sunday, September 8, 2019

Ghost Mobs: WORSE than Fliers and Griefers

The meme disclaimer: This is speculative and based on pre-release information and Minecraft. This is not to be taken seriously; this is just for fun.
If you take this seriously, ghost mobs will hide under your bed tonight. Just kidding.

I suggest reading "My Paranoia of Griefing and Flying Hostile Mobs in Hytale" first before reading this.

The vast majority of hostile mobs (even griefers and one flier) in Minecraft can be avoided simply by hiding oneself inside blocks to avoid being seen and getting hit.
While doing my no damage playthrough in single player, I abused this tactic a lot at night, then worked on other activities like store duty or checking Facebook, Twitter, or Fire Emblem Heroes.
Move along—there's nothing to see here!
(There's a villager hidden inside the wood)
If I were a developer at Hypixel Studios, though, I would think, "Bah, this makes the game too easy! Players can just hide in their bases 24/7 with no challenge at all! Let's give them a reason to stay vigilant even at home!" Therefore, my solution would be to add a hostile mob that can see the player through walls and pass through walls, or what I would call a "ghost" mob.

This would change the way I play Hytale dramatically. This means I can't simply hide at home or underground due to the space limitations of indoor battlefields. On the other hand, being outdoors to have more space to move around and dodge puts me in danger of being attacked by other mobs.
Therefore, I'm a LOT more anxious about ghost mobs than with fliers and griefers.
(I'm glad my readers aren't around in person to watch me fight vexes because, thanks to the 1.9 combat system, my bad aim, and their mobility and small size, I can hardly hit them. Imagine if evokers spawned like regular hostile mobs instead of being restricted to village raids and woodland mansions.)

There's not much for me to rant about ghost mobs, so let's move on to tactics because I'm lazy.

Tactics

These tactics assume that ghost mobs spawn similar to regular hostile mobs like Minecraft zombies, skeletons, spiders, creepers, etc., except they can also spawn in midair like phantoms. They're fliers that take normal damage from all conventional attacks.

Base

Sky base
A simple sky base that mostly uses transparent blocks.
First of all, I should make a sky base. This minimizes the risk of ghost mobs spawning underground and attacking me from below.
The underside of the sky base should be well-lit, not just the top. The surface and structures should be made of a transparent or translucent block like glass or leaves so I can see ghost mobs attacking from below.
I should build as far away as possible from the ground in case ghost mobs only spawn on the ground, but I'll still be ready for ghost mobs that spawn in midair like phantoms. This also helps stay away from their aggro ranges.
A waterfall is an obvious emergency escape route; gravity can help outspeed ghosts. (Hopefully these ghost mobs don't have super speed or teleportation.)

I specialize in combat in wide-open fields, so I should make a big base. This allows me to move around freely and dodge attacks easily.

Equipment and Mounts

A Thief in Fire Emblem Heroes.
Thieves attack with daggers.
At minimum, I'll use a dagger. Its fast attack speed allows me to quickly react and retaliate at the split-second I see a ghost mob trying to sneak-attack, then knock it back and buy me time to mentally prepare myself, move to advantageous terrain, and deliver quick follow-up attacks.
Plus, I think daggers are the cheapest weapon type to craft because they have short blades.
Note: I actually wrote this part before the publishing of "Custom Content in Hytale", which showed a pigeon (possibly a transformed player) throwing a dagger. If human/humanoid players can also throw daggers in vanilla Hytale, daggers would be much more viable because of the ranged weapons part later in this section.

Of course, I would still use a spear as my primary weapon to keep those pesky ghosts from reaching me with melee attacks while maintaining maximum performance because I specialize in spears. (Imagine if you could pole-vault with a spear to dodge or get to high ground.)

A shield would come in handy if my attacks miss and I get vulnerable otherwise. It also helps against projectiles, and is useful in restricted terrain like inside a house or cave.

Ranged weapons are the best against ghosts, in my opinion, because it prevents them from getting close in the first place. They also allow me to reach ghosts that attack from a distance without getting close.
(This tactic does not work against ghost mobs that fly like vexes or real-life mosquitoes unless I'm using a fully automatic weapon with a fast fire rate.)

Anything to increase my speed or allow me to fly would be helpful. These include horses and jetpacks.

Invisibility can prevent ghosts from seeing me as long as they don't have super senses.

Exploration

Light as much of the surroundings as necessary, especially before exploring a cave.
First of all, I need to always be on the move; I cannot stay still for too long. For example, if a ghost sneaks up behind me while I'm constantly moving forward, it will take long for the ghost to reach me (if it outspeeds me slightly), giving me time to regularly watch my back and retaliate.

I should stay away from restricted terrain unless I have to go into it. This includes forests, caves, and water.
If I do have to go into restricted terrain, I should alter the terrain to my advantage; this includes cutting down trees, building bridges to bypass water, pillar-jumping onto treetops, and using explosives in caves.
Kweebec skin by astridini
Optifine allows custom NPCs to emit light while holding a torch.

Ideally, I should bring an ally, preferably a player. I don't know if friendly NPCs like Kweebecs can alert the player in advance when an enemy approaches, but hearing them fight or take damage is enough to alert me to an incoming ghost.

Of course, I need to carry loads of light sources like torches and scatter them as I move, even during the day.

Conclusion

Vigilance and mobility: these are the two most important things to have when fighting ghost mobs. Regardless, though, fighting ghost mobs will give me a big headache at first, but I'll get used to ghosts eventually.

What do you think about ghost mobs in Hytale? What powers will they have, and how will you fight them?
And do you think this post is a hot mess? I think it is—just thinking about ghost mobs drives me crazy.

TL;DR summary: Ghost mobs are worse than fliers and griefers because they can hit the player even if they hide. To protect myself from ghost mobs, I need a large, well-lit sky base, some weapons to keep ghosts at a distance like spears and bows, and lots of speed and alertness.

No comments:

Post a Comment