Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Why I Add "Viewer Discretion Is Advised" to Political and Religious Topics

IMPORTANT: Please keep all comments respectful.

Edit: I realized that some of these "Viewer discretion is advised" warnings are trigger warnings, but I'm too lazy to remove them.
Also, the example link I showed became a broken link.

Short answer: Politics and religion are highly controversial topics, both inside and outside of the Internet. Some wars in history are motivated by either or both of these two things.

Long answer:
A discussion about a controversial topic where two parties brutally disagree with each other has a possibility to result in chaos in ways such as, but not limited to, flame wars, death/rape/DDoS threats, cybercrime, physical violence, destruction of public property, and even literal, bloody wars.

I don't want people, especially children, to engage in such horrible misbehavior, so I put "Viewer discretion is advised" on blog posts with political and religious topics.
Besides, I've seen 9-year-olds in my former home Minecraft server giving the worst possible threats to much older players. Heck, many terrorist groups, like ISIS and the New People's Army (a group under the Communist Party of the Philippines), have child fighters.

P.S. You can't sue me if my political or religious views cause children to be toxic or violent. I have the right to free speech. As long as I'm not being too toxic, I think I'm okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment