Wednesday, April 22, 2020

My Hytale Team Balance Based on TV Tropes

DISCLAIMER: This...has nothing to do with any specific Hytale mechanics or lore and can be applied to any multiplayer or co-op RPG or sandbox.
It's just that I'm...way too emotionally attached to this team I've built.

I have a confession: I'm addicted to TV Tropes.
I've pulled many all-nighters doing nothing except reading TV Tropes.
I mostly read gaming stat tropes and love tropes, by the way.

Speaking of gaming stat tropes, I'm a huge fan of competitive balance and character building.
Although I think all Hytale playable characters will be equally strong (with the power differences coming from equipment and player skill), I guess playing games with class systems, like D&D, made me think of characters based on what classes they are similar to. Anyone can switch quickly between, say, fighter and wizard in Hytale with no restrictions, but of course, many players will be better at one than the other.

So, since I couldn't focus on building proper blog post ideas due to firetrucking school work, I made a doc about my Hytale team's balance, complete with TV Tropes trope names.

I also included a bunch of personality-related goodies in the doc since I think knowing each other's personalities helps us adapt to each other's strengths and weaknesses.

By the way, I realized that my team felt unbalanced with just me, BoltOLightnin, and YoSquid since three units have to be alone to execute a balanced split-up attack and I can't do all the tanking for the two ranged units when enemies are smart enough to Shoot the Mage First (or the archer).
So I invited my brother, HeadsHoKer, to join the party, and I think he's okay with it. He's incredibly strong, can heal, and can charge the front lines.

I'm looking for more party members, by the way, to further balance out my army.
In particular, all of us are weak to magic (especially me), so we need a Mage Killer, or at least someone with high Res.
We also lack The Chick: someone who I think would come in handy for "flowery" diplomacy and for resolving internal conflicts.

...

This is my last week of studying for this trimester, so I'll be busy the whole week.
Enrollment for the next trimester has been postponed indefinitely, so I'm not sure how long my "summer break" will last.
Hopefully I get a boatload of blog post ideas in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment