Sunday, January 17, 2021

Frustrating Hytale Crossover Enemies: Genshin Impact's Oceanid Boss Part 1

DISCLAIMER: All Hytale-related content in this post is either speculative or based on my own imagination.
Assume all third-party content will be from a third-party mod.

Ah, the Oceanid. This boss is very interesting. It represents the Hydro (water) element--it's fought in a lake where it constantly rains and it creates mooks made of water. It only takes damage when a wave of its Hydro Mimics is defeated. As the boss itself says, "The power of water is its ability to take any shape..."

What's so rage-inducing about this boss? Where do I even start?
  • None of the Hydro Mimics flinch when damaged, even by strong Elemental Skills and Elemental Bursts. The only way to stop them from attacking and moving is by freezing them.
  • The Hydro Mimics hit hard, are fast, and are generally tanky. (Strength, speed, and durability vary by Mimic.)
  • As the player damages the Oceanid, it sinks the platforms of the battlefield, limiting the player's movement.
  • If the player takes too long to defeat a wave of Hydro Mimics, the Oceanid insta-kills one of the player's characters.
  • Specific Hydro Mimics:
    • The hawks cannot be hit by melee attacks. Their swoop attack is difficult to dodge and can catch the player off-guard while fighting other Hydro Mimics.
    • The boars are the tankiest of all the Oceanid's Hydro Mimics. Although all the Mimics can walk on water, the boars are the most annoying because their charge attack puts them far from melee range, giving them time to steadily recover HP.
    • While they're less tanky than the boars, the squirrels have a wide attack range and can steadily recover HP. They're not very strong by themselves but pair them with hawks and they're a huge headache.
    • The ducks continuously inflict damage to nearby players, on top of being moderately fast.

Rules

  • Unless otherwise specified, the Oceanid is fought in a Hytale version of its Genshin Impact battlefield.
  • Blocks cannot be placed or broken during this fight similar to a portal dungeon.
  • The Oceanid's Hydro Mimics can be affected by elemental reactions.
  • I must use my Author Avatar. He has no Vision or magical powers but can use magic items.
  • Allies (both NPCs and players) cannot be used unless otherwise specified.
  • Most weapons and armor temporarily have infinite durability until the end of the fight.
  • Except for a particular fight mentioned by Albedo in his Story Quest, only one Oceanid can be fought at a time.

Nothing But Trash Equipment

Assume I have a bow and a lot of arrows for this; otherwise, I can't do stealth archery. Also, without any kind of ranged weapon, I cannot damage the hawks at all.
As for my melee weapon, it's a stone sword. (Only inflicts Physical DMG, not Geo DMG.)

This was written just in case I'm locked into an Oceanid fight. Who knows--I might run into a "Trork" that is actually an Oceanid in a Prototype-style disguise and can summon its battlefield and trap it in a steel cage. (See how Crazy-Prepared I'm trying to be?)
(Yes, I know zone 1, where the Trorks live, is not associated with water; zone 3 is.)

First off, the "Trork" disguise. I should do some stealth archery first to find out which Trork doesn't take damage. (If I use melee stealth and try to "assassinate" the Oceanid, the real Trorks may be alerted to my presence. Ever tried to Stealth Consume an Evolved in Prototype 2?)
If I do alert the Trorks, I'll kill them first so that I won't have to pay so much attention to incoming attacks--the Trorks are easier to kill.

As for the Oceanid fight itself...
Considering how ridiculously difficult it is to dodge the mooks' attacks in Genshin Impact and that at this stage of Hytale progress, my Super Weight is Muggle Weight (level 0 out of 7), my best option is blocking.
The only weapons that have been shown to block so far are shields and two-handed swords (though the two-handed sword wielder was not in combat). We don't know if it will be possible to block with a one-handed weapon or how easy/hard it will be to craft a shield. Heck, I'm not sure if it's possible to negate damage with a timed shield block (i.e. parry) though the trailer implies it.

Quick attacks are important to ensure I steadily deal damage without being a sitting duck who just plays defensively. Given how long it took to do a charge attack with a maul in the graphics update, charge attacks are almost completely useless.

Actually, screw it. I'd probably lose anyway. My player character may be too slow at this stage to avoid or block attacks and inflicts too little damage to hurt the mooks faster than they can self-heal.
Co-op might not save us either because Hytale boss difficulty scales depending on the number of players. If anything, it'll just stress us out even more than if we did it solo.
(Remember the Resurgent Cryo Regisvine which was awakened due to the infamous Reckless Pallad? Some YouTubers have complained that it's harder in co-op.)

Mid-Tier Equipment

At this point, I might have an Epic-rarity weapon like the Fire Sword which can inflict an element. After all, killing a few lowly skeletons in zone 1 ruins isn't hard at all.
Other than that, I imagine I don't have any other magic items...especially given the lack of magic items that have officially been revealed. It's not like the Demonic Axe will be useful unless you run a self-healing DPS build to neutralize the recoil damage...

For me, the most annoying part of the Oceanid fight in Genshin Impact is dealing with many incoming attacks. Fortunately, some mooks have low HP, so I'd prioritize the cranes because they stay on the ground and don't attack frequently.
The hawks also have low HP but they fly and throwing weapons take time to charge up. (We don't know for sure if other weapons like bows have to be charged.) Once I finish up with the cranes or there are no cranes to begin with, the hawks are, in Ganyu's words, "next on the agenda".

I'd still favor fast attacks so that I can deal chip damage and still be ready to use a defensive move. The problem with slow attacks is, if the enemy's attack will hit sooner than my own, I'd have to cancel with a block or dodge and end up dealing no damage of my own.
Slow attacks, such as with the two-handed Fire Sword, work better when there's only one Hydro Mimic remaining.
And before you say "do Link's Spin Attack with the Fire Sword", we don't know if Hytale has a hunger or stamina mechanic. It also has a long startup time in Genshin Impact.

Ideally, I want to fight the Oceanid with a fast melee weapon that continuously inflicts Electro. Hydro is weak to Electro. The Electro-Charged reaction only requires hitting one Hydro-inflicted foe to continuously shock every other Hydro-inflicted foe, allowing me to focus my eyes on whatever is the most annoying target.
Vaporize is also great for quickly taking down the Hydro Mimics due to the 1.5x multiplier, but its overall effectiveness depends on what I use to inflict Vaporize. I most likely will not have access to Klee levels of AoE at this point.
Frozen is decent against a few mooks, but not against large groups. It also does not inflict additional damage and does not prevent some mooks from self-healing. Also, considering ThirtyVirus's influence and the Ascended Meme status of the Oceanid thanks to Albedo, I doubt modders will pull any punches.

High-Tier Equipment

I give myself a lot more freedom to choose here. At this point, I will likely have a lot of magic items from exploring high-level dungeons.

Anti-Oceanid But In-Character Build

Main weapon: Pyro Non-Throwing Polearm. I have a Hair-Trigger Temper and I got Pyro in some "What's your Genshin Impact Vision?" tests. Aby also said I also have the strongest affinity with fire.
Polearm characters like Xiangling and Zhongli have the fastest Normal Attacks in the game, but we're not sure about Hytale. The throwing spear appears to have a slow melee attack compared to swords. With Genshin Impact speed, I'd use this as my main DPS weapon. With Hytale throwing spear speed, I'd use this to finish off weakened Hydro Mimics.
I specified "non-throwing" because we don't know yet if all spears can be thrown in Hytale. In general, non-throwable spears are more powerful than throwable ones; for example, in the Fire Emblem GBA games, the Javelin has 1 less Mt than the Iron Lance, while in D&D 5th Edition, the spear can deal 1d8 damage when wielded with two hands while the javelin always deals 1d6.

Backup weapon: Electro Shortbow. My real-life bow's light weight is beginner-friendly. Light weight also means I can quickly inflict Electro-Charged, especially against fliers.

Armor: Light armor. Ideally a leather jacket, but since Hytale Adventure Mode is a medieval fantasy setting, maybe I'll just wear...whatever ninjas or thieves wear.
I want to maintain my speed while being able to tank a little like I can in real life. I'm not a professional e-sports player and I admit I still get cleanly hit in real life.

Accessory stats: Anything that increases Physical DMG, including ATK, CRIT Rate, and CRIT DMG. The faster I can kill my foes, the fewer attacks I need to dodge. I also assume that Hytale will use the Pokémon physical/special split so my Pyro polearm will deal Physical DMG in addition to Pyro DMG.

Glass Cannon Build

Main weapon: Electro Wand. The Weapon Research concept art shows staves and wands; generally, in video games, wands attack faster than staves. However, we haven't seen staves or wands attack yet (except for the ice spell used by a staff wielder in the trailer; we also don't fully understand how much animation lag it has, if any), so we can't accurately compare them to the Purple Spellbook (tome) we saw in the graphics update. See "Mid-Tier Equipment" for why I want to spam Electro-Charged.

Backup weapon: Cryo Staff. To stop the annoying buggers from moving. I imagine staves to have a wider AoE than tomes and wands.

Armor: Robe with DMG-boosting secondary stats. If you wanna play a glass cannon, why boost DEF when you can occupy that empty equipment slot with something that lets you hit harder? lololol

Accessory stats: Electro DMG Bonus. 'Nuff said.

Defensive Build

Main weapon: Electro One-handed Sword. Swords are traditionally versatile in video games. They're particularly fast in Hytale.

Backup weapon: Cryo Shield. Stop hitting me out of nowhere while I'm busy blocking another enemy's attack.

Armor: Light armor. I know heavy armor is the most traditionally well-suited to sword-and-shield styles, but much of my defense in this build comes from dodging and parrying rather than taking hits. If available, though, I will prioritize armor that has the accessory stats I want (see below).

Accessory stats: Movement SPD, Passive HP Regen. I hate running out of stamina and just running like a Slowpoke. In Minecraft, eating during combat is generally risky unless you have enchanted diamond armor and enchanted golden apples.
(Good thing my Author Avatar is 174 cm tall, somewhere between the tall characters Jean and Diluc. The Minecraft player's hitbox is 180 cm tall, roughly the same as Diluc. Imagine if I was only as tall as Klee.)

Part 2: Oceanid Gang War

The Oceanid gang war part will be posted on January 24, 2021.

Also, school starts for me on February 15, 2021. -_-

No comments:

Post a Comment